The museum was founded in 1936 on the basis of a rich collection of local artifacts related to Antiquity. It was officially opened in 1970 as a municipal cultural institution in the course of the Fourth National Archaeological Conference held in Blagoevgrad. The museum organizes and conducts archaeological research on the site of the ancient settlement, situated under the modern town of Sandanski. It has representative collections of gravestone marble sculpture and antique mosaics. The emphasis of its work is the maintenance and exhibition of the ancient site "The Basilica of Bishop Ioan". Its fund includes more than 11,000 movable cultural assets. It performs promotional and scientific activities. Branches of the Museum in Sandanski is also the Museum in the town of Melnik.
Translation Yordan Georgiev - trainee