The museum is a successor of the Archaeological Society created in Shumen in 1904 by Rafail Popov. It is one of the most influential cultural institutions in the province town with a wide network of permanent expositions and sites. In its structure are nine departments and a scientific team. Its funds hold over 150,000 movable cultural monuments from the Chalcolithic to the present day, of which 15,000 are shown in the eight exhibition halls.
Temporary exhibitions are also periodically exhibited. The museum also has its own publication - "News of the Historical Museum Shumen", a library of more than 25,000 scientific literature and periodicals, restoration-conservation workshops and a photo lab. It carries out surveys on the territory of the Shumen region.
Translation Yordan Georgiev - trainee