The Museum of Physical Culture and Sports is located in a specially adapted hall in the National Stadium "Vasil Levski".
The Sport Museum was created by the Bureau of the Supreme Committee of Physical Education and Sport (SCPS) and by a letter from the Ministry of Culture of 26 April 1956
On September 1, 1959, the Bureau of the Bulgarian Union of Physical Education and Sports - a structure of the Supreme Committee took Decision No. 30 with Protocol No. 1 "Opening of the Museum of Physical Culture and Sports" and the first museum exhibition was opened at 30 March 1962, initially housed in the Sports Palace.
The Museum of Sports as a departmental structure over the years has been subordinate as follows:
- To the Supreme Committee for Physical Education and Sport (1956-1957)
- To the Bulgarian Union for Physical Education and Sport (1958-1962)
- To the Higher Institute of Physical Education and Sports "Georgi Dimitrov" (now National Sports Academy) from 1963 to 1985
- To the Bulgarian Union for Physical Culture and Sports since 1986, and to the National Sports Base EAD since 1997 with material and technical provision of the exposition base, located in the “Vasil Levski” National Stadium.
Traditions and part of the Success of the Bulgarian sport
The Museum of Physical Culture and Sports has already been renovated and offers an exhibition titled "Traditions and Part of the Success of Bulgarian Sport". It shows the history of Bulgarian sport and the excellence of our national athletes.
History of Bulgarian sport
The museum's funds were acquired through donations from famous Bulgarian athletes, athletes and sportsmen. Donators are famous sportsmen from the recent past and present: Krum Lékarsky, Nadezhda Lékarska, gen. Vladimir Stoichev, runner Grigoriy Pedan, famous athletes like Yordanka Blagoeva, Diana Yorgova, Zdravka Yordanova and Svetla Ocetova, Vesela Lecheva and many others.
Donator is also Hristo Stoichkov, who offers his sports shirt to the museum exposition, which everyone, especially the children, enjoys a lot, as Stoichkov is considered the biggest football player of Bulgaria for all time.
One of the last donations the museum has received is from the great Bulgarian volleyball player Todor Simov, a legendary name from the end of the 1940s and the beginning of the 50s of the last century. It provides the museum with programs, medals and awards from a period when Bulgarian volleyball has achieved its first international success on the international sporting scene.
More than 500 exhibits, photos and facsimiles present the first sports associations - tourist companies, clubs and organizations. Among the valuable items of the exhibition are a copy of the first Bulgarian bicycle, personal belongings and awards of our great fighters Dan Kolov and Nikola Petrov. Visitors can see a fencing suit of a Bulgarian Olympian from Amsterdam in 1928, as well as other competitive teams, numerous cups and a collection of medals conquered by Bulgarian athletes.
One old photo is particularly expensive. The original photo was from 1894 as the Swiss gymnastics teachers arrived in Bulgaria at the invitation of the then Minister of Enlightenment and distributed to the major high schools in the country. These teachers actually set the stage for modern sports in the country.
The excellence of our national athletes
Most valuable and respected are the Olympic medals awarded by prominent athletes such as Manol Manolov - Melbourne Bronze Medal 1956, Diana Yorgova, who gave her silver medal from Munich 1972 athletics, Yordanka Blagoeva, who gave her medals from Munich (1972) and Montreal (1976), as well as Krassimira Gurova, a member of the Bulgarian basketball team, who won bronze medals in Montreal in 1976 when the basketball was first included in the Olympic program.
The stars in figure skating Albena Denkova and Maxim Staviyski donated one of their bronze medals at the World Championships in Washington (USA) and their suits.
The Museum of Physical Culture and Sports is under No. 66 on the list of 100 national historic sites.
Translation Yordan Georgiev - trainee