The Museum in Samokov was created in 1936 as a result of the activity of a group of local artists - Naum Hadjimladenov, Pavel Frantsaliyski, Hristo Yonchev-Kriskarets, Prof. Vassil Zahariev, Slavi Genev, Georgi Belstroynev. The first cultural values came into the fund as donations from local citizens. In 1940, the building, which the Museum has been inhabited until today, was built. In 2007 a major renovation of the Museum building was made and the exhibition was mainly renovated.
The Samokov Museum includes in its structure four specialized departments and two branches - the Ethnographic Museum and the fortress "Cari Mali grad". Apart from the main exposition, the fund is also presented at the Bayrakli Mosque, as well as in the Art Gallery "Prof. Vassil Zahariev". Scientific and promotional activities are diverse and meaningful. The museum organizes temporary exhibitions and other events corresponding to its profile. It takes care of the movable and immovable heritage of Samokov and the municipality and creates conditions for enriching the cultural everyday life of citizens and guests of the historical settlement.
Video about the sights of the town, made with the assistance of museum experts.
Translation Yordan Georgiev - trainee